Joomla gallery extension by joomlashine.com
In October 2022, the implicit interest rate on housing credit and the average loan repayments increased in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
In the 3rd quarter of 2022, the overdue loans ratios decreased compared to the previous quarter (Read more...)
In 2022, the proportion of persons between 16 and 74 years old who reported having used the Internet in the last 3 months prior to the interview was higher in the Autonomous Region of Madeira than in the country (Read more...)
In the first nine months of 2022, the natural decrease was higher than in the same period of the previous year (Read more...)
Between January and September 2022, the egg production, livestock slaughtering and poultry meat increased year-on-year while landed catch registered a decrease, but its value rose (Read more...)
At the end of the 3rd quarter of 2022, the number of jobs in the Regional Administration of Madeira was 20 806 (Read more...)
DREM releases "In Focus" with statistical indicators related to the sea for the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
DREM releases Culture indicators for 2021 (Read more...)
DREM releases data for January to September 2022 on golf courses and cruise ships that visited the Region (Read more...)
In August 2022, Madeira’s economy accelerated (Read more...)
Subscribe to our newsletter and get statistical data as soon as it is available!...
Regional Directorate of Statistics of Madeira releases Agriculture and Fishery Statistics for 2021
The Regional Directorate of Statistics of Madeira (DREM) releases today statistical information regarding Agriculture and Fishery for the year 2021. In addition to the tables made available on its website, an annual publication is also released, including an analysis report, from which the following highlights are extracted.
In agriculture: Potato and grape production grew, while sugarcane and banana production decreased
- Potato remains the crop with the highest output (25,944 tonnes), with a slight increase of 0.1% compared to 2020. Sugarcane emerges as the second most relevant product in the group of temporary crops with 9,203 tonnes, a lower value than in 2020 by 415 tonnes (-4.3%).
- In permanent crops, banana output (21,219 tonnes; -4.8% compared to the previous year) and Vitis vinifera grapes (3,982 tonnes; +2.1% that in 2020) stand out, but with opposite trends. The extra class of banana represented 80.2% of the total processed by GESBA – the regional company that manages the banana industry. In the case of grapes - whose information source is the Institute of Wine, Embroidery and Crafts of Madeira, (IVBAM, I.P.) - it should be noted that 74.3% of production was of Negra Mole variety (78.7% in 2020).
In animal production: Egg production and slaughtered cattle showed growth in 2021
- In aviculture, the egg production, in 2021, reached 23.1 million units, growing 16.4% over the previous year. The production of poultry meat decreased by 6.7%, totalling 3.2 thousand tonnes in the year of reference.
- The weight of livestock slaughtered and approved for consumption in 2021 was 963.9 tonnes, increasing by 3.8% from the previous year. Slaughtered pigs increased by 11.9%, sheep by 9.4% and cows by 3.3%. On the contrary, goat slaughter decreased by 7.5%. The most slaughtered species, in 2021, was the bovine breed (93.0% of the total).
In fishery: Landed catch increased in 2021
- In 2021, the landed catch in the Autonomous Region of Madeira increased by 6.7% in volume to 5.2 thousand tonnes and down by 3.0% in value to 14.1 million euros.
- The catches of tuna and tuna-like species went up by 21.7% and the catches of black-scabbard fish down by 12.3%, reaching 2.8 and 1.9 thousand tonnes, respectively.
- The first sale value of these two species was respectively 6.8 and 5.8 million euros (+0.5% and -13.4% in the same order).
Regional Economic Accounts of Agriculture (REGEAA) and Exports: Agricultural output decreased by 3.6% in 2020
- The REGEAA data show that the agricultural output in the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood at 96.8 million euros in 2020, decreasing 3.6% in nominal terms when compared with the previous year. 82.8% of the total agricultural output came from crop output and 12.2% from animal output.
- The Autonomous Region of Madeira dispatched 17.1 thousand tonnes of banana in 2021 and 0.6 tons of sweet potatoes. There were also exported in the year of reference 2.6 thousand protea flowers.
Agricultural prices: Indices for agricultural goods and means of production decreased in 2021
- In 2021, the producer price index for agricultural goods grew by 9.4% over 2020. This increase was driven by the rising in the price index of other crop products (16.0%), vegetables (12.9%) and potatoes (+6.5%).
- The price index of the means of agricultural production increased by 20.0% from 2020, which can be partly explained by an increase in the price index of fertilisers and correctives (+60.9%).
Regional Directorate of Statistics of Madeira releases a time series on Agriculture and Fishery Statistics for the years 1976 to 2021
The Regional Directorate of Statistics of Madeira (DREM) releases also today, on its official statistics website, a time series on Agriculture and Fisheries Statistics updated with the data from 2021.
The information for the 1976-2021 period is presented in three different chapters:
- Agricultural Economic Accounts and Exports of Agricultural Products;
- Agricultural prices.
For more information, please click on: