tableaupublic            

Menu

Official Statistics Website - On the “statistical information” menu the press releases, tables and time series are available in English. The Statistical Yearbook and the Tourism Statistics publications also have information in English.

tableaupublic            

Newsletters

Subscribe to our newsletter and get statistical data as soon as it is available!...

In 2020

Natural decrease became more negative and marriages reached an all-time low

In this release, the data refer to 2020 and is based on information registered at the Civil Registry Offices up to March 2021. The information related to deaths is subject to revisions after the codification of the causes of death of 2020. Also, the information on live births may be subject to revision as, in the current context of the pandemic COVID-19, there can been a greater gap between the moment of birth and the moment of registration, with implications on the entry of birth registrations in the databases of Statistics Portugal (INE).

The final results of demographic statistics show that in 2020, the Autonomous Region of Madeira (ARM) registered a natural decrease of 853 persons, more significant than in 2019 (-788 persons). This decrease was the result of a lower number of live births (1,860) than deaths (2,713). This trend of a higher number of deaths than births started in 2009 and it is shared by the country.

The number of live births decreased again in 2020, reaching the fourth lowest value since there are records: 1,739 in 2014, 1,839 in 2013, 1,858 in 2016 and 1,860 in 2020. The observed decrease reflects a decline of 1.6% compared to 2019 (1,891 live births). Of the 1,860 children born in 2020, 50.8% were male, representing a sex ratio at birth of 103, i.e., for each 100 females born, 103 were males.

Of the live births in 2020, 59.6% took place outside marriage: 61.1% were cohabitant parents and 38.9% were not. The highest concentration of live births occurred from mothers aged over 29 years (64.5%), while mothers between 30 and 39 years old were accountable for 55.9% of the total births registered this year. The share of live births from mothers aged 40 years or over stood at 8.7% (161 live births). The number of live births from teenage mothers (19 years or under) slightly decreased compared to the previous year (2.9% in 2019 and 2.6% in 2020).

There were 2,713 deaths during 2020, up by 1.3% from the previous year (2,679). Similar to the trend started in 2010, with the exception of 2016, the number of deaths of women exceeded that of men, with 1,271 deaths among men (46.8%) and 1,442 among women (53.2%).

Of the total number of deaths, 95.2% were of persons aged 50 or over, 80.4% were persons 65 or over and 52.1% were aged 80 or over. The number of deaths had its highest peak in December (268) and its lowest in June (183).

In the year of reference, 6 deaths under 1 year and 5 dead fetuses were recorded (5 deaths under 1 year and 4 dead fetuses in 2019). The infant mortality rate stood at 3.2 deaths per 1,000 live births (2.6 in 2019).

In the Region, in 2020, the number of marriages reached an all-time low, 612 marriages, which represents a decrease of 36.6% compared to the previous year (966 marriages).

Of the total number of marriages, 96.9% were celebrated between persons of the opposite sex, while the remaining 3.1% were same-sex marriages (19). The highest number of marriages was registered in October (87), contrarily to the trend observed in the last six years in which September was always the most chosen month, and the lowest in April (1).

The results also show that 60.3% of the marriages celebrated in 2020 were first marriages. Of the total marriages between people of the opposite sex, 85.8% were civil and 14.2% catholic. In 62.9% of the total number of marriages, the chosen property scheme was joint marital property. It should also be highlighted that in 63.2% of the marriages the spouses already cohabited.

In 2020, there were 1,006 marriage dissolutions due to the death of the opposite sex spouse and 2 dissolutions due to the death of the same sex spouse, resulting in 303 widowers and 705 widows. Widowhood mainly affects women, in particular due to the higher female life expectancy.

 

 Saldo óbitos nados casamentosEN

For more information, please click on:

 

International Statistical Cooperation

MAC14 20

International Statistical Cooperation

MAC14 20

Statistical Literacy

formation3

Statistical Literacy

formation3
Go to top