Flash estimate - In October 2022, the overnight stays in tourism accommodation in the Autonomous Region of Madeira grew by 24.4% year-on-year (Read more...)
DREM releases data on foreign affiliates in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
In October 2022, the median value of bank appraisals on housing in the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood at 1,431 euros/square meter (Read more...)
In October 2022, the movement of passengers at the airports of the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood 40% above the same month of 2019 (Read more...)
DREM releases the third quarter transport statistics and a time series for the period 1976-2021 (Read more...)
DREM releases final results of the 2021 Census (Read more...)
In October 2022, the implicit interest rate on housing credit and the average loan repayments increased in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
In the 3rd quarter of 2022, the overdue loans ratios decreased compared to the previous quarter (Read more...)
In 2022, the proportion of persons between 16 and 74 years old who reported having used the Internet in the last 3 months prior to the interview was higher in the Autonomous Region of Madeira than in the country (Read more...)
In the first nine months of 2022, the natural decrease was higher than in the same period of the previous year (Read more...)
Subscribe to our newsletter and get statistical data as soon as it is available!...
Employment and turnover in the large–sized commercial units located in the Autonomous Region of Madeira increased
In 2019, there were 88 retail trade establishments in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (up by 1 from 2018) classified as large-sized commercial units, 67.0% of which dedicated to the non-retail sale of food (or without predominance in retail sale of food) and the remaining 33.0% specialised in the retail sale of food (or with predominance in retail sale of food). It should be highlighted that a substantial share of these units (80.7%) belonged to enterprises headquartered in Mainland Portugal.
In 2019, Madeira’s large-sized commercial units employed 2,978 persons - up by 6.2% from 2018 - the majority of which (65.1%) working in food retail. There were more women (68.5%) than men employed in the sector, both in the retail sale of food (71.0%) and in the non-retail sale of food segment (63.9%).
This sector generated a turnover of 472.7 million euros in 2019 (up by 4.6% from 2018), 99.6% of which coming from the sale of goods and the rest from services to customers. 67.4% (317.3 million euros) of the total amount of sale of goods (470.7 million euros) derived from food retail, of which 81.9% (259.8 million euros) came from sales of “Food products, beverages and tobacco”.
Each local unit of food retail recorded an annual sales value of 10.9 million euros on average, while the non-retail sale of food segment had a smaller value (2.6 million euros).
In the year 2019, the sales area in food retail was 36.8 thousand square meters, standing at 42.9 thousand square meters in the case of non-retail sale of food units.
The number of transactions in large-sized commercial units topped 24.6 million. In the case of food retail, the average value per transaction stood at 16.3 euros (15.7 euros in 2018), while in the non-retail sale of food it was 30.3 euros (29.3 euros in 2018).
Concerning the means of payment used, the debit or credit cards were the most preferred means used in the retail sale of food (57.1%) and in the non-retail sale of food (67.8%).
In 2019, sales deriving from own-brand products reached 178.5 million euros (up by 7.6% over 2018), representing 32.2% and 49.8% of the global sales volume of the food and non-food segments, respectively (in the same order, 31.4% and 49.3% in 2018).
The preliminary results for 2019 of the Integrated Business System Accounts – which refer only to enterprises headquartered in the Autonomous Region of Madeira – show that, in the year of 2019, there were 3,642 enterprises operating, down by 0.2% over the previous year. They generated 2.1 billion euros (a 8.9% growth over 2018) of turnover and concentrated 13,251 jobs (a 2.8% increase compared to 2018).
For more information, please click on: