tableaupublic            



Official Statistics Website                             

Menu

tableaupublic            

Newsletters

Subscribe to our newsletter and get statistical data as soon as it is available!...

In 2020

The pandemic caused an unprecedented drop in the turnover of the large-sized commercial units located in the Autonomous Region of Madeira and also a decrease in employment

The Regional Directorate of Statistics of Madeira (DREM), releases today, simultaneously with Statistics Portugal (INE), information about Large-Sized Commercial Units (LSCU), for the year 2020. A LSCU is an establishment, considered individually or as part of a group belonging to the same company or group of companies, where commercial activity is carried out and which has an exhibition and sales area of relevant size.

In 2020, there were 91 retail trade establishments in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (up by 3 from 2019) classified as large-sized commercial units, 68.1% of which dedicated to the sale of non-food retail (or without predominance in the sale of food retail) and the remaining 31.9% allocated to the sale of food retail (or with predominance in the sale of food retail). It should be highlighted that a substantial share of these units (81.3%) belonged to enterprises headquartered in mainland Portugal.

In 2020, Madeira’s large-sized commercial units employed 2,757 workers - down by 7.4% from 2019. There were more women (68.0%) than men employed in the sector and 21.8% of the total worked part-time. These units generated a turnover of 458.9 million euros in 2020 (-2.9% compared to 2019). The trend of these two variables in 2020, cannot be dissociated from the COVID-19 pandemic, which caused the first decline of turnover since the beginning of the time series (2011) and the interruption of growth in the number of workers in LSCU that can be seen since 2015.

Sale of food retail, with 29 establishments, generated a turnover of 327.6 million euros (317.3 million euros in 2019, i.e. +3.3%), while the 62 non-food retail establishments sold 128.8 million euros in goods (153.4 million euros in the previous year, i.e. -16.1%).

On average, each food retail establishment declared an annual sales value of 11.3 million euros, a figure that drops to about 2.1 million euros for non-food retail establishments.

In 2020, the exhibition and sales area in food retail reached 36.8 thousand m2, and in non-food retail it reached 44.6 thousand m2.

The number of transactions carried out in LSCU establishments reached 20.4 million. In food retail, the average value per transaction corresponded to 20.0 euros (16.3 euros in 2019) and in non-food retail to 32.3 euros (30.3 euros in 2019).

In food retail units, sales of "food products, beverages and tobacco" represented 81.1% of total sales (-0.8 pp compared to 2019). In this group, "meat and meat products" (15.3%), "other food products" (15.1%) and "fruits and vegetables" (12.3%) were the main products sold. Among the non-food products sold in these units (18.9% of total sales), "cosmetics and toilet products" (7.5%), "other sales and products" (4.2%) and "household cleaning materials and similar products" (4.1%) were the most important.

In non-food retail establishments, the products with the most significant sales were "clothing and accessories" (25.9%), "computers and optical, photographic and telecommunications equipment" (17.5%), "electrical appliances" (13.5%), and "furniture and other household goods" (9.7%).

With regard to the means of payment, debit or credit cards were the most used, 62.6% in food retail (57.1% in 2019) and 71.0% in non-food retail (67.8% in 2019). Cash payments accounted for 36.7% of total food retail sales (42.0% in 2019) and 24.3% of non-food retail sales (28.3% in 2019).

In 2020, the sale of private label products stood at 159.8 million euros in LSCU establishments  (-10.5% compared to 2019), representing 33.5% and 38.8% of the global sales volume of the food and non-food segments, respectively (in the same order, 32.2% and 49.8% in 2019).

 UCDR 2020 EN

For more information, please click on:

 

International Statistical Cooperation

MAC14 20

International Statistical Cooperation

MAC14 20

Statistical Literacy

formation3

Statistical Literacy

formation3
Go to top