Flash estimate - In October 2022, the overnight stays in tourism accommodation in the Autonomous Region of Madeira grew by 24.4% year-on-year (Read more...)
DREM releases data on foreign affiliates in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
In October 2022, the median value of bank appraisals on housing in the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood at 1,431 euros/square meter (Read more...)
In October 2022, the movement of passengers at the airports of the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood 40% above the same month of 2019 (Read more...)
DREM releases the third quarter transport statistics and a time series for the period 1976-2021 (Read more...)
DREM releases final results of the 2021 Census (Read more...)
In October 2022, the implicit interest rate on housing credit and the average loan repayments increased in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (Read more...)
In the 3rd quarter of 2022, the overdue loans ratios decreased compared to the previous quarter (Read more...)
In 2022, the proportion of persons between 16 and 74 years old who reported having used the Internet in the last 3 months prior to the interview was higher in the Autonomous Region of Madeira than in the country (Read more...)
In the first nine months of 2022, the natural decrease was higher than in the same period of the previous year (Read more...)
Subscribe to our newsletter and get statistical data as soon as it is available!...
Default ratio of non-financial corporations dropped while the balance of credit granted and the number of borrowers increased
According to the data provided by the Bank of Portugal, at the end of December 2020, the balance of credit granted to non-financial corporations (NFC) located in the Autonomous Region of Madeira stood at 1,941.5 million euros, up by 28.6% over the end of 2019, confirming the growing trend which took place most of the year. After 10 years of successive drops, the balance of loans granted increased and recorded a value close to the one observed at the end of 2016. The number of NFC with loans grew from 3.6 thousand and 5.3 thousand between the end of 2019 and the end of 2020, with the latter being the highest value since June 2012. The default ratio of this type of corporations dropped to 3.6%, remaining 0.3 percentage points (p.p.) above national average.
In the household and Non-Profit Institutions Serving Households (NPISH) sectors, the balance of credit granted at the end of the reference period amounted to 3,160.3 million euros, down by 2.4% from the end of December in the previous year. 67.4% of that balance was related to the “housing” segment and the remaining 32.6% to “consumption and other purposes". Compared to December 2019, the balance of loans granted in the first segment increased by 1.3%, while in the case of the second segment, there was a 9.3% drop. It is the first time in 11 years that the balance of credit related to the “housing” segment increased.
Household and NPISH debtors amounted to 100.4 thousand as of December 2020, showing a downward trend over the past year, driven by the decrease in borrowers for “consumer and other purposes”. The overall decrease was 1.2%, and in this particular segment, it reached 2.2%. In the “housing” segment there was an increase of 1.1%.
Overdue loans in the housing segment did not exceed EUR 16.6 million, representing a ratio of overdue loan ratio of 0.8%, 0.2 pp above the national value. Compared to the end of 2019 this ratio dropped by 0.6 pp in the Region and by 0.2 pp in the country.
The percentage of borrowers (Households and NPISH) with overdue loans stood, by the end of 2020, at 7.8% in the Autonomous Region of Madeira and by 8.5% in Portugal. Compared to a year before it dropped by 0.6 pp in the Region and by 0.4 pp in the country.